Friday, 28 November 2014

Richard Evans on Boris Johnson

One thing I really enjoy doing is reading book reviews. I recently read a review by Richard J Evans on Boris Johnson's 'The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History ', which made me laugh a lot. Evans criticised Johnson for fabricating/ stretching his facts in order to support his hypothesis; that Churchill shaped the 20th century and the outcome of WWII. The article made me think a lot about the use of facts to support historical research, and the use of history to make present day points (Evans accused Johnson of trying to draw subtle comparisons between himself and Churchill - Johnson may be running for prime minister in the near future after all!). 

I have put a link of the article below - please read it and let me know what you all think!

http://www.newstatesman.com/books/2014/11/one-man-who-made-history-another-who-seems-just-make-it-boris-churchill