Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Vive La Revolution - Mark Steel

Next year for part of my history A2, I am going to study the French Revolution, a topic which I have always loved! In preparation, I am currently reading Vive La Revolution by Mark Steel. It manages to not only be incredibly interesting and educational, but is also absolutely hilarious, and I would definitely recommend it.

The book is a great place to start if you want to learn about the history of the French Revolution, as it really gets across the history of the period whilst being totally accessible and engaging. Steel takes an unconventional view of the Revolution; he is sympathetic to the goals of the revolution - arguing that people realised, for the first time, that they could create society anew- whilst traditionally Conservatives have declared the rebels 'blood-thirsty', Steel's approach is refreshing.